Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Gary Thomas Tobias

Gary Thomas Tobias was born December 8, 1934 in Port Huron, County of St. Clair,  Michigan, at 2 A.M. by physician M.E. Boyee.

His father was Ernest Russel Tobias, and his Mothers name was Helen W. McLean

When Gary was born his parents were living at 1303 Church Street, Port Huron, MI.


In 1940 according to the federal census Gary was 5 years old was living with hi parents on Richman road in a house they owned in Kimball, St. Clair, Michigan in a house they owned which  was on farm land.  The house was worth $2,000.00.  Ernest Russel Tobias (Gary's father) was working as a machine operator in a brass factory and earned $840.00

While they were living in Kimball on the farm land during the second world war, a military plane landed in the field Gary remembered running to the pilot who told Gary he lost his way.  His parents helped give the pilot some directions, and the pilot left.  This left quite an impression with Gary, he told me this story when I was a young girl, and he remembered it very fondly.  He said as the pilot flew away he tipped the wing at Gary and his dad.

 Gary Married Orpha May McCoy on October 15, 1955 in Redondo Beach, California.  They had three children.

Debra Lee Tobias
MichealTobias
Robert Tobias

Here is a love letter he wrote to Orpha less than two months after they started dating.

Here it is transcribed

Hi Honey
      Here I am again that guy that is is very much in love with you.  I hope you don't mind my writting twice in one day.  I can't get you off my mind.  Boy will I be glad to get home.  I don't know for sure yet but believe me darling I am going to try with all my power to see you soon.  About me calling you it mite be a little later than 5 o clock.   I'll try and make it at 5.  Just to hear your voice again would mean a lot but to hold you in my arms wow that would be like heaven.  Will you be home Thursday night? 
     Mickey honey when we do get married we are going to be the happiest couple in the world as long as I have you.  What puzzles me is how you fell for me I don't see why except I am might happy that you did.  Darling I will try to make you the happiest.  And I think I can.  Do you?
     Boy writing a letter around here is like getting a (lesson?) all the guys are banging on my door or they start singing love songs like Lover when your near me.  I finally got mad and kicked them out.  I've got one bad habit I've got a bad temper wow.  I take so much then everything goes flying.  Honey if I do get home would you like to go to the ranch again?  I had a lot of fun.  Darling I couldn't go out with another girl not even if I was paid to.  I've got one girl from now on and guess who she is?  I've got your picture out on my desk again.  Well darling that time has come as much as I hate to end it but I'll say 
All my love 
Just for you
Love ya
Your 
Guy
Toby

P.S. 
Write Soon
and D.A.L.D.O.
Love ya  

Gary served in the Airforce and Navy.  He later worked at Northrup on the assembly line making military planes, until he retired.

No comments:

Post a Comment